Thomas English was an architect, Mayor of Adelaide and member of the South Australian Parliament. Born in Maryport, Cumberland, England, he came to South Australia in 1850, travelling with his wife, Sarah Brown, and her brother, Henry Brown. The ship, the Richardson, was commanded by James English, the older brother of Thomas.
Thomas English and Henry Brown became business partners. Their firm built a number of Adelaide’s prominent buildings, including the Town Hall and Old Parliament House. Their first major commission was to design and build Scots Church on the corner of North Terrace and Pulteney Street. Originally called Chalmers Free Church, the foundation Stone was laid on the 3rd September, 1850. This ceremony was attended by both Thomas English and Henry Brown.